Hi there! At Crossover, we are committed to helping you or a loved one with substance use. On this page, you’ll find more information on how to get help for substance use.

Some people are hesitant to seek help for their substance use concerns. Sometimes it’s because they’re not sure if they have a “problem.” Other times they suspect they have an issue but they are either having a hard time admitting it, or they are wondering if their issues with drugs or alcohol are serious enough to warrant treatment. However, if you’re questioning your alcohol or drug use, seeking answers to those questions can benefit you in many ways. Crossover is here to help you find the answers you need.


For many people, the first step towards addressing concerns about their drug or alcohol use is being assessed by a qualified mental health professional. There are many ways to get an assessment. For example, there are specialty substance abuse treatment centers that provide assessments. There are also many individual therapists—including the mental health therapists at Crossover—that can help with an assessment.

You can reach out to a Crossover healthcare provider for assistance if you aren’t sure where to start. If you prefer not to discuss this with a Crossover provider, there are other resources you can utilize. At the end of the day, our hope is to get you connected to the best care possible.


Substance use treatment can take many forms. Many people who receive substance use treatment start at one level of care and work their way through less intensive levels as they progress. Ultimately, the best treatment for you will depend on the results of an assessment from a qualified mental health professional.


The most common treatment model is currently the Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP), which provides group and individual therapy several hours a day over the course of several weeks, with a schedule that gradually decreases as treatment progresses. IOPs have become popular because they are effective for many people, less expensive than inpatient care, and allow participants to continue engaging in daily life during treatment. 

Individuals who have developed a strong chemical dependence on alcohol, opioids, or other drugs may need medically supervised detoxification in a hospital or treatment center. Those with severe substance abuse issues may warrant extended inpatient treatment, though this level of care is less common that it used to be. 

Some individuals forego intensive treatment programs, instead choosing to address their substance issues one-on-one with a therapist in an outpatient setting. 


A Crossover mental health therapist can help you explore the substance use issues you may be experiencing, your thoughts and feelings about these issues, and options for addressing them. A Crossover mental health therapist can also provide a moderate level of substance abuse treatment. 

For severe substance use concerns, a therapist or other Crossover provider can refer you to more intensive treatment programs as needed, and a Crossover care navigator can help you with scheduling the referral.


We understand some people may want to pursue services outside of Crossover Health. One reputable resource is the national helpline of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). The SAMHSA helpline number is 1-800-662-HELP (4357) or TTY: 1-800-487-4889. The SAMHSA helpline is a confidential, free, 24-hour-a-day, 365-day-a-year, information service that is available in both English and Spanish. It offers referrals to local service providers, information on support groups and community-based organizations, and access to free publications and other information.